Thursday, April 16, 2015

April 16, 2015

It is with a heavy heart and tears in my eyes that I write the words that I hoped to never have to write... Mom passed away in her sleep this morning.

She had been doing well, and had improved enough that we were able to transition her from nursing care to assisted living. We moved her things and signed all the paperwork on Monday; she was really looking forward to having her own private room and we set up a little twin bed with plans to get a loveseat, bedside stand and other furniture on Saturday. She was very tired after the move, but we talked about what art supplies she wanted me to bring and what she could use as an art table. She had already decided it would go along the window that looked out onto the garden.

She was so excited when she heard that she could have an electric fireplace, and I threatened to take her credit card away from her if she went crazy shopping online before we had a chance to check out the Restore furniture place in Glenwood. :-)

I called her on Tuesday, and she said she was tired and having some problems breathing but that they put her back on oxygen and that helped. The doctor checked her lungs Wednesday and said they had improved and sounded clear. This morning the nurse brought her morning medications around 5:45, and said Mom was bright and alert and joked about dropping one of her pills. Before the nurse left, Mom said she was tired and would sleep a while longer before breakfast. When she didn't show up by the time breakfast was over, they went to check on her and found she was gone.

At her request, there will be no formal service. She has directed that she be cremated and her ashes scattered at Fremont Lake, which we will probably do later this summer.

The last eight months were hard on her body, but her mind and her spirit never failed, in part to the love and prayers you sent her way. Thank you to everyone who called and sent her cards and emails; it meant a lot to her that you all cared.

Best personal regards,
Tracy

8 comments:

DADD said...

Tracy, you don't know me, but Barrie and Kasey do.
I loved reading Duene;s blog every morning and looking at her art work with AWE. She was such a talented lady and a real character.
I will miss her dearly.
Her blog was one of the bright spots of my mornings.
The World will miss her . Sorry for you and your families loss.
Roger

Judi said...

All of us in Art Group loved Duene dearly. Her generosity knew no bounds and she often shared or gave away art supplies that she had just bought. She remembered stories & entertained us.
I feel blessed that I could be her friend.
PS: Roger is kind of/ sort of related to me. He loved Kat too.

Rollie said...

The number of times Duene and I joked around when I dropped in for a visit to "Art Group" is many. She was such a joy. And what a great teacher she was. Some of my children had her as a teacher. What a lady she was. Rest in peace, Duene.

Charmian said...

Oh Tracy. So sorry for you and family. Tears here. I looked for Duene every day.

Anonymous said...

It was such fun to get to know Duene (Mrs Raper as Darin politely says) through the blog. I loved to read about her real world. Prayers to the family.

Ginni Myers (a.k.a. Mrs. Darin Myers)

MOM/Gina said...

Thank you for this. Betty called yesterday to tell me. She was a good friend..a great teacher...and I'll miss her forever.

Sally said...

My heart is heavy...when I remember Duene, I Loved her sense of humor and greatly admired her talent! What a plus in my life!

Judith Angell Meyer said...

My sincere condolences to Duene's family, and her many friends. This is the first I've looked in on her blog for a long time and am saddened to know this special lady is no longer here.

My love to you all,
Judy

Judith Angell Meyer
fortmeyer@aol.com