Saturday, November 15, 2014

Good morning, everyone...don't get too excited, it's just Tracy. I promised Mom I would post an update since she's been offline for a while.

For those of you who don't know, Mom has lung cancer. In August she came to live with me in Colorado to undergo treatment at the Shaw Cancer Center. She underwent an aggressive treatment of both radiation and chemotherapy, which did result in a reduction in the tumor size of about 42%.  Unfortunately, the treatment was too much for her and we stopped chemotherapy early, although she did fight her way through and complete the radiation.

We had to hospitalize her 3 weeks ago due to her weakened condition and overall state of malnutrition. After a week at Vail Valley Medical Center she was transferred to Heritage Park Care Center in Carbondale for rehabilitation. The first two weeks it was touch and go, but she is starting to show some improvement, albeit slowly.

We met with her "care team" on Thursday - this consists of the doctor, a physical therapist, a dietitian, an occupational therapist (still figuring out what that gal does), a social worker, a wound care nurse, the head nurse and her case manager. It was a very crowded room.

The good news is that she is a little more alert and eating a little bit more. Her appetite is still nowhere near what it needs to be so that is the main concern - to get some nutrition in her. She's lost about 45 lbs, but the last week or so that seems to have slowed down.

The not so good news is that she is still extremely weak and cannot sit up or get out of bed without help. She sleeps pretty much constantly, unless she is woken up for physical therapy or meals. She has pressure sores on her bottom that are also a big concern due to infection and her weakened immune system. Even sitting up tires her, and while I've passed on to her the emails and text messages she's received, she's not yet up to returning calls. But she does appreciate your concern and support.

I visit her daily, so I would be happy to pass on any messages. My mailing address is PO Box 5246, Gypsum, CO 81637 if you would like to send a card or letter. Or you can email her at duene7@gmail.com.

Not much else to share; at this point it's up to her. She is getting the best possible care and only time will tell. Thank you all for being her friend and for all your thoughts and prayers.

Tracy LeClair

10 comments:

Rollie said...

Thank you for the update. There are lots of people here asking about her. She is in Judi's and my prayers as well as you. Take care and tell her I said "Hi".

MOM/Gina said...

Tracey..thank you for the update. My prayer is she gets back to quality life. We all love her so...please pass that on. I also recognize the drain this is on you girls.

Sally said...

Thank you so much for the update Tracy! Please tell her hello...my best to her and also her family. Luv, hugs and prayers!

Judi said...

So glad to see this post & know how things are going. Thank you, Tracy.
Duene is so precious to me and many, many more people.
Love that woman!

Charmian said...

Tracy, thank you for the update. I check your mom's blog daily and it always brought a smile or a chuckle or outright laughter. Please give her a big hello and hug from me. We all sure do understand what you are going through as we've all "been there" and know it is not an easy time.

Betty C said...

It is so good to have an update!! Give Duane my best and we will continue to keep her in our thoughts and prayers. I really miss her daily blog, she has such wit and humor. :)

Anonymous said...

Tracy, thank you so much for the update. Please give her a hug from and I and tell her I love her.
From Toni B.

Anonymous said...

From Gary and I!

Arlinda said...

Hi, Duene and Tracy, Julie K. passed on Duene's blog to me so I could see your message, Tracy. Mary Wills and I were just wondering on Friday how she was doing. Tell her we love her and hope every day brings new strength and renewed courage. Thanks, Tracy and Paul, for taking such good care of Duene. We love her and all her family. When you say she isn't eating, I chuckle when I remember that every day at the elementary school she would have a big flour tortilla with thick slices of cheddar cheese all melted in the microwave. She enjoyed that with her cup of coffee in the teacher's "lounge." Love to all, Arlinda

Cristy said...

Love to Duene from an old teaching partner! Thank you Tracy, for updating - please give her my best!
Cristy