Friday, March 26, 2010

Friday

Just look at this crew! Father Zumach is dressed in his robe, Tracy is wearing a dress and a bonnet, and I am wearing a dress and even have something over my head. This was in the days when you were supposed to cover your head in the Catholic Church.
And this picture was taken that night at the Rocky Mountain Hall at Fort Washakie. Tracy's cousin, Ben Lee, was dancing. Tracy was a cowgirl.


When I moved back to Wyoming from Arizona, I stopped at the Grand Canyon and rode a mule down to the river. This is Curly, a wrangler. Will someone tell me why I never took any pictures down in the canyon?

Coming back up from the river, a rattlesnake crawled across the trail, and Curly's mule spooked and ran off up the trail. The two kids behind me just hung on, and their mules turned around and went back down the trail. There were two riders in front of me, and their mules turned around and tried to go back down the trail too. I managed to hold my mule sideways in the trail, and we stayed there and blocked the two mules in front of us.

The other two mules then got worried, and came back. When Curly got back, he was sure glad to see us. We all had a beer together that night at the Bright Angel Lodge.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I would say you were awe struck with the fantastic view of the Grand Caynon. Just tried to take it all in and completely forgot about your camera.
At least that is what people say when they have cameras and forget to take photos of BIG FOOT or UFO.
Good for you in stopping the run away mules, even if it was just by chance that it happened that way.
R

MOM/Gina said...

Or perhaps more taken by what you did photograph? Curley? :):) Couldn't resist, Duene!

Anonymous said...

Hey Gina, I have a picture I took of another wrangler named Ken. He was cuter! And a good dancer!

Duene