Friday, February 26, 2010

Arizona

This morning I was straightening up some books on my bookshelves. Picked up a book on ghost towns of Arizona, and immediately got distracted. Tucked inside the book were several photos and some USGS topo maps of the area around Silver Bill, Arizona, where I once lived . I got out my oldest photo album, but am disappointed because there aren't very many pictures of Silver Bell. Maybe there are some more in a box I have in the closet.


The Silver Bell townsite was a company town, and I lived in a small trailer house there. A few miles to the west was the ghost town of Old Silver Bell. My friends and I used to go exploring there a lot. The picture is of the cemetary at Old Silver Bell.

I have a story on myself about the old cemetary. Probably shouldn't even tell it, but my two best friends and I decided we were going to dig up one of the graves. We took our shovels out there and started to dig. We didn't last long. We got scared and quit. We shoveled back the 3 or 4 inches of dirl we had managed to take off, and went home.

Oh come on! I was only 21 years old at the time and not finished growing up yet. Those were my rowdy years.

4 comments:

Sally said...

Too funny Duene!!!

Anonymous said...

Silver Bell. Interesting. What part of AZ is it in? Judi and I went to a lot of ghost towns but I hadn't heard of Silver Bell. rwm

Anonymous said...

I'll bet it's down by Tucson. Love the picture and your story. I know you have many more. Thanks for sharing. JAM

Anonymous said...

LOVIN IT AND HOPE YOU TELL MANY MORE..
NANC