Monday, August 6, 2012

The smell of the grass Barrie just mowed, the wind in the leaves of the trees, the sound of humming birds fighting at the feeder, the sight of a magpie sitting in the sunlight on a fencepost, the sound of Willie Nelson crooning on the iPod, the sound of Kasey giggling about something, the feel of drawing paper and a pencil in my hand.

There, I almost wrote a poem, didn't I?

***********************

 

Here are the tools I am using on the pencil drawing I have started.  Some of this stuff is new, some not.  The brush is to whisk away eraser leavings.  The thing that resembles a compass is the proportioinal divider I just got.  It's pretty nice, but I'm a little unsure yet about the best way to use it. It's great for measuring parts of the picture, but I still have problems getting my angles correct.

Then there's the lead holder, which I have had for probably 30 years.  I never used it, becaue the only way to sharpen it was with sandpaper, and very messy.  Then I found the little lead pointer that does a good job of keeping a point on the lead.  I'm using a paper stump for blending, and the new electric eraser.  I use the sandpaper to make a sharp point on the eraser to erase tiny places or fine lines.



And with all that stuff, this is all I have managed to produce!  I'm not sure I'll even finish this, as I used an unfamiliar paper, and really hate it.  I like a smooth, plate finish paper for drawing, but this is like trying to draw on waxed paper. 


3 comments:

Judi said...

He reminds me of Boomer, but not quite. Is it?
You 'filled up our senses' with your poem. Oh, I just remembered that you don't like that singer. Sorry.

Duene said...

Yes, it's Boomer. Our favorite all time family dog and I've never drawn him. But this one is not good.

DADD said...

Drawing on wax paper. Sounds like a tough job to me.
But then, drawing on anything would be a tough job for me.