Sunday, May 5, 2013

Sunday

Great horse race yesterday.  I found that I ended up picking my favorite because of his owner.  The horse Normandy Invader is owned by Rick Porter, a history buff, who has a special interest in WWII.  He brought four WWII veterans who were involved in the Normandy Invasion  to the Kentucky Derby as his guests.  The old guys were having a great time and placing bets at the track.  He did place third, but it would have been so neat if he had won.

A bit of trivia from the race - something I've never given any thought to.  When they run a muddy track, like it was yesterday, the jockeys wear several pairs of goggles, rigged together some way so they can pull one down to hang around their neck, and have a clean pair.  I don't know how many goggles they go through, but I was able to find one photo that clearly showed a very muddy jockey with goggles hanging down around his neck. 

I don't remember the event - a Super Bowl game, maybe, and the woman who sang The Star Spangled Banner made such a fool of herself and did a terrible job with the song.  She got a lot of flack over it.  Yesterday, at Churchill Downs, Martina McBride did a beautiful job.  Thank you.

********************
 
Another mouse decided to check our the house last night - and won't be able to tell his friends about it.
 
*******************
 
I love these birds!

 
And Calvin is still working on his safety poster.

3 comments:

DADD said...

That was Roseanne Barr in 1990, Then Whitney Huston made up for it with a fantastic song in 1991 shortly after that.

Duene said...

I don't remember who it was, but I'm quite sure it wasn't Roseanne Barr.

MOM/Gina said...

For the last two years Nancy has called from Cheyenne and we've "watched" the Kentucky Derby together. It's great fun. I was tickled when she called last year and we did that, and more so when she remembered to this year. Do you spoze I'll remember next year? Probably not..but hopefully she does.