Friday, December 18, 2009

Friday


This portrait of Grinder is not one of my best efforts. I can see where I need to make changes, especially the hair under her chin. It looks like a fake Santa beard in my drawing.



This is "whiskey art" without the whiskey. I printed out the photo of the butterfly onto a piece of paper palette, cut the size of my printer paper. A paper palette i s used in oil paiting, and is waxy on one side. If you print onto the waxy side, the ink will not sink in and will remain wet for a while. I laid it, ink side down, on a piece of hot press watercolor paper and burnished it on the back so the ink transfers onto the paper. I think it works better than whiskey, but I've only tried one print. I wonder if it would work with wax paper?

*****************************
What a lazy day! Bright and sunny out, and not too cold. I was going to take cardboard boxes to the recycling center, but Barrie said she would do it, so I just came upstairs and worked on the dog drawing.
I am listening to XM Radio old radio classics. Just finished hearing the radio show of "The Day the Earth Stood Still". Funny, because I just watched the movie last weekend in West Yellowstone.

2 comments:

Cristy said...

The butterfly print is lovely, Duene!
I'd like to see the reference for the dog drawing - it looks really nicely rendered - but I can see where your frustration is. Seems like there should be a shadow of sorts in there somewhere where the muzzle might shade that beautiful white fur a little. Even if you have to fake it some, it would add depth and dimension and give you a chance to work even more juicy color into that luscious thing. I'm really loving your drawings lately, btw! Merry xmas to you and yours!

Anonymous said...

You are sooooo clever. You've taken 'whiskey art' to a whole new level. The butterfly is great. JAM