Friday, June 25, 2010

Friday, and it's summer!

When summer hits Pinedale, it really hits! Just all of a sudden, it is here, and it's hot.


I took my camera out in the yard today and wandered around so see how things were growing. I live in a jungle!



One of the strangest things in my yard is this hollyhock. I planted seeds I got from my mom years ago, when she still lived on her farm. This same hollyhock has been coming up on the south side of my house for at least 20 years. It blooms, has rather plain red flowers, but the seeds never have time to ripen. Some years it gets as tall as the roof of the house.


The year of the lilacs! It's not very often lilac bushes bloom here. We usually get a hard freeze after they bud out.



I used to think these were wild phlox, but found out last year they are Dames Rocket (I think). I saw a house on a hill in Montana, and the entire hillside was covered with these. Looked beautiful.


I think this is a currant bush. Don't know if its a wild bush or not. There used to be some currant bushes at some of the houses Julie tore out. I'm sure the birds planted mine.



My back door. Seems like more water than usual. I was just downstairs and should have checked to see if there was water in the basement. Oh well. There's nothing I can do about it if there is.
************************
The dogs were in the back yard, and I scared Maddy when I showed up at the back gate. But not half as much as she scared me! When she saw me, she started "bellowing" and charged at the gate like an elephant. She was so embarrased when she saw it was me. She is so friendly to people, but evidently she is also very protective.




2 comments:

Judi said...

What a lovely walk through you garden. Thanks!

R said...

By the way how is your grass that Barry planted doing this year?