Saturday, June 19, 2010

Home, had a great trip, but happy to be home again. My cat is acting very weird. She is meowing at me, rubbing on my feet, and letting me pet her. She is even purring. All because I abandoned her for four days.


Click on images for larger view
Wish I could remember the exact location of this. There was a walkway and a viewing platform built over the river to see the falls. Kasey stuck her head out through the fence to look at the falls. An elderly woman came out onto the platform, and freaked out. She was so upset that "That little girl had her head through the fence over the falls." Her friends couldn't even get her to go the fence to look. She must have been a fun travelling companion!

Barrie posed Kasey with her head stuck through the fence and took a picture. Haven't seen it yet.


The Montana deer are Whitetails. They make me laugh. When they flip that tail up and run, they look like dogs to me. It's that tail, wagging in the air.

Lincoln is a logging area, so of course there are many things made of logs. This is the sign for the Lincoln Medical Center, carved from big logs.


The Boot Tree

Barrie told me about trying to find someone who lived on "Boot Tree Road" once when she lived in this area. There was no sign for the road. We were driving a dirt road into a logging area, and Kasey said she had to potty. So Barrie stopped. She looked up and said "Oh my gosh! It's the boot tree!" Sure enough, we found the boot tree. Seems it has something to do with an old logging tradition, or maybe someone just got drunk and threw their boots up in this tree, and it others followed. Anyway, I thought it was pretty neat!

********************

I actually found this on the Internet, on a site about Orvando, Montana:

"Boot Tree Road: The Old Timer’s Boot Tree is gone but a new one is starting up again. Look for the boots – and other foot paraphernalia—being tossed into the branches. A dirt road going through some post logging areas, but not too strenuous and nice views. The road is located just east of Ovando. "

2 comments:

Judi said...

So many wonderful adventures when you go on a trip, huh? The medical sign is great. The Boot Tree is a total kick! The elderly lady reminds me of a story of Lynn Thomas. I took her, Debbie & her 2 grandsons to Sacred Rim. The boys one of them is now a father) were running all over the rocks. Lynn took one look over the edge & almost had a stroke. We did NOT stay. Just last summer Lynn reminded me of that experience & how terrified she was for the boys.

Roger said...

Thay also have mule deer in Montana.
I lived there for 15 years.
White tail only put their tail up when they think they are safe, other wise they run with their tail down and covering their white rump
I have hunted white tail most of my life. They are a lot better eating than mule deer. They don't have that sharp sage taste to them.