Saturday, February 12, 2011

Leonardo, Raphael and I


This is the start of a silverpoint drawing. The old Renaissance masters did silverpoint drawings, because pencils hadn't been invented yet. I am trying it just because I'm curious.

You have to prepare the paper first. I put three coats of ground (gesso) on some bristol paper. The metal point of the stylus won't leave a mark on plain paper. I am using silver, but you can use copper and other metals. Even gold.

I guess it's quite a bit like drawing with a hard lead pencil. But it is supposed to tarnish after a time, which gives it a brown tone.

Barrie trimmed the cat's nails while she was lying on the top shelf of her cat tree. She protested, but stayed there. I tried to upload a video of this, because the snarls and growls add to the effect.

*******************
The neighbors must have a frozen water line. City trucks have been down there most of the morning with something that resembles a metal detector - I would guess they're trying to locate the line. I like having a well.
The XM radio is working perfectly (hooked up a different antenna to it), the furnace is working, and the bird sound is gone from the refrigerator.


3 comments:

Roger said...

You need to post a new photo of your shoes ever month or some, so we can see the effects of the tarnishing. Maybe even go so far as to have todays and the later photos side by side . Or one on top of the other.

You should rename your Kat. Call him HANK for Hateful And Nasty Kat

Roger said...

You do know that I am teasing about your Kat.

Duene said...

The cat IS hateful and nasty, sometimes. She throws such a noisy fit when Barrie trims her nails. Even acts like she's biting. She puts her teeth on Barrie's arm, but never bites down.