Tuesday, June 17, 2008

June 17, 2008 - new work and old photos

Click on photos to see a larger image. You may remember that I mentioned colored pencils frustrate me because they look dull, don't blend, and don't erase. I have found a surface that works for me. This a colored pencil drawing of my cat, and is done on "Mylar", which is drafting film. It is a translucent acetate surface, matte finish. It won't take many layers of pencil, but erases well, and you can draw on both the front and back. Adding colors to the back of the drawing really gives some interesting effects, and increases the intensity of the colors. Because of its transparency, it needs to be backed. You can use whatever color you want for the backing. This one has black paper.

This is a graphite drawing of a mountain lion I did last winter. I did him twice. After I had completely finished the first one, I noticed one eye was higher than the other, and his head was lopsided. So that one went to the trash

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

The Marlatt Brothers baseball team, from Hawk Springs, Wyoming. This was taken in Chicago about 1929, where they had gone to play in a tournament. They are wearing unifoms loaned to them by the Chicago White Sox. My grandfather is standing at the far left, and my father is standing on the far right. Although they called themselves "brothers" two of the players were nephews.


Back in the days when I was an Indian (or related to one, anyway), the Indians were able to hunt or fish at any time on the reservation. I am leading out a pack horse loaded with an elk shot in August. This is on the reservation, and that is Steamboat Lake in the background. Boy!! Was I young then!!

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

The Rainbow Family is already starting to gather up at Big Sandy. There was a photo on Pinedale online http://pinedaleonline.com/ of an old school bus with a huge white storage type thing built on the top. It looked like it contained lots of supplies.

I wonder where these people all come from, and what they do when they are not "gathering for peace". I wonder if they have jobs or live in houses. Maybe I will drive up there next month - just seeing 40,000 people in one place might be worth the drive.






No comments: