Friday, January 18, 2013

Saturday

The score is . . . . bread machine, zero, brick maker, three.

The mixes I used in the bread machine were good, but I decided to make a loaf of basic white bread from the recipe that came with the machine.  Didn't actually come out bread, more like a brick.  One loaf raised really nice and high, I could see it thru the little glass window.  But when it baked, it collapsed.


 
The loaf on the left is what my bread looks like.  The loaf on the right is wishful thinking.

Yes, I have read and read about the reasons for this at high altitude.  I know to decrease the yeast and sugar, and  increase the salt. I even had Barrie get me some gluten flour yesterday.  That helped, but I'm wondering now if it might be the yeast.  Both the yeast and the flour are fresh.  This is the first time I've used yeast for the bread machine.  So this morning I am wasting more flour and trying it again, this time with the regular Fleichman's yeast, which I've always used before. 

Stay tuned.

I wonder if the dogs would enjoy munching on the loaves that came out like bricks?  Kind of like chewing on a bone, I would think.

**************************
 

2 comments:

Judi said...

You are so funny! LOL. Brickmaker 3.....
And to think that Rendez Pt sells there delicious huge loaves for $2.50 each. You just have to be there on the right day.
But, good luck!
Loved the cartoon. We have a g-daughter just like that!!!

Duene said...

Sue's bread is to die for. Mary Sour used to bake incredible bread when she was the school cook years ago at the old, old elementary school.