Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Moose and Mooseling

Click on images for a larger view
The moose and calf are finished, I guess. I sure got frustrated with the grass in the foreground, and finally decided to just leave a suggestion of grass.

Birdwatching





Judi wondered about the Marlatt family. There were actually only 10 brothers. Two of the players were nephews, children of the oldest son. And there were 6 girls in the family. The photo above shows the whole family. Arena gave birth to 13 of these children. The mother of the three oldest died, and Henry married Arena.


We used to attend a family reunion every summer near Hawk Springs. What a big crowd!


I once told my Mom I never heard Grandma Marlatt talk, and my Mom said, "well, she never had a chance to say anything, with all those kids". Before my mom and dad were married, they used to visit the Marlatt house. My Mom said the girls were doing the cooking, housework and laundry, and the boys had to pack in water and firewood. And Grandmother Arena sat over in the corner mending socks!

By the way, they NEVER wore 10 gallon hats. They got off the train in Chicago wearing the hats and chaps for publicity.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

VERY interesting. Thanks for taking the time to brief us on your family. The moose, mooses, meese....are lovely. JAM