Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Tuesday - Taking a Break

I have so many projects started that it is almost overwhelming. So sometimes it just feels good to take a break from it all. Even though it makes the room really crowded, I set up a card table and got out a jigsaw puzzle. I haven't done one for about a year, and it is very relaxing.


************************************

One more bumper sticker.

***********************************************

I got a kick out of the Burma Shave sign that Lynn posted. Boy, do I remember taking trips when we looked forward to seeing those and reading them aloud together. I found information on the history of these signs on the Internet, and read that one of the big reasons for the demise of them was the "progress" of highways and high speed vehicles. I guess you had to drive slower to read those little signs.

Does anyone remember the "Stinker Stations" in Idaho, and the billboards they put up? We used to visit my grandparents in Boise when I was a kid, and I remember watching for those signs. They wre quite large, and humorous. I remember one out in the middle of nowhere that said "If you lived here, you'd be home now". And another with a bunch of rocks around painted green, and the sign said "Petrified Watermelon - take one home to your mother-in-law." They were certainly not as well known or located nation-wide like the Burma Shave signs, but they were a welcome sight while driving across Idaho.


The kids today ride in the backseat with a TV or a DVD player. Good grief! I remember counting the number of white horses we saw, or keeping track of the number of cars we met of different colors.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

we played a game with our kids that Ken said he played as a kid, called Jip, or counting horses,kind of like yours.. it was fun .... thanks for the memory D.
nanny

Anonymous said...

We played Gumfrey where we counted mostly cows but anything 4-legged. Each 'team' had a different side of the road. You could only have 5 points max/pasture and if you passed a cemetery on your side, you went back to zero. JAM