Thursday, May 20, 2010

The Computer

I got my computer back today. Mike installed Windows 7 on it, and was able to save all my documents, music, and pictures. Thank goodness! So today I started to reinstall the programs I use. It mostly went well. Sort of.

I have discovered something about technical support. You know the ones where you reach a robot who has been programed for voice recognition? And you are supposed to reply with "yes" or "no", or read a number? Well, if you give totally inappropriate answers, the robot eventually transfers you to a real person. And if you are lucky, you get someone who speaks English.

I wasn't able to activate my Microsoft Office software today, because I had already activated it on three computers. But I just wanted to reinstall it. A robot can't understand that.

I called earlier today, and finally hung up. I tried again tonight and did much better.

The third person I talked to tonight was named Salim Hassain, and his supervisor's name is Arun. And yes, he had an accent and was hard to understand, but he was very nice and had a sense of humor. And he activated my software for me. It only took me about an hour on the phone!

The second person I talked to told me I could only have it on two computers, and I know I can install it on three.

So, I think it is time to turn off all the computers and XM radios, and anything else to do with technology,and settle back with a good book!

3 comments:

Hank Ruland said...

Wow, you have had some "siege" with that computer. Early on in the "techie" days I had lots of virus's on my machine but nowdays I've been lucky (knock on wood). You're right about a good book, I'm not so sure that technology is going to be the great "undoing". Good luck with the newly formed system....

Anonymous said...

I think it is a prerequiste for Dell and Microsoft Techs to have the name Hassain. At least with the Centurytel techs I'm not talking to a foreign country. JAM

Sally said...

Always tell them (Microsoft) that you only have it installed on one or two computers. That will elliminate the probs. And also, to reach someone live, just keep hitting 0! I will send you a list!