Monday, November 26, 2012

Monday

Near disaster yesterday.  The toilet stool was happily flooding the bathroom.  I yelled "help" downstairs to Barrie and she brought me the plunger.  All is well now, just two soaked towels that need to be thrown in the wash.

****************************
 
Did the anniversary of JFK's assassination go by without me even noticing?  Apparantly so.  Do you remember where you were on that day?
 
I was in Tucson, Arizona, returning home from a dentist appointment when I heard it on the radio.  I didn't go to work that day in the mine office.  I stayed glued to the television along with several friends.
 
Some of my neighbors in the trailer court did not fare as well. Back then you could bring back a gallon of booze for every man woman and child in the vehicle when coming back across the border from Nogales.  These two guys volunteered to make a run to Nogales for liquor for the holidays, and they took their own kids as well as several other neighbors' kids from the trailer court.  They had eight kids with them, all preschool age, because it was a school day.  And the border was shut down tight before they could get out of Mexico.  I don't remember for sure now long they were stranded down there with eight little kids, but it was at least overnight. 
 
Can you imagine it?
 

2 comments:

Rollie said...

I remember Nov 22, 1963 just like it was yesterday. I was on my way home from student teaching when on the radio I heard "The President has been shot".

Judi said...

I was at college & my roommate told me. I didn't believe her so we went to the basement where the only TV was. The whole dorm was down there.
By the way, We keep a plunger in every bathbroom.