Saturday, November 17, 2012

Saturday

It's trying to snow a little, but the sun is shining.

The snow plow is parked in my driveway.  Looks like Barrie is ready for snow.

***********************
 
Still scanning a few photos from old albums every day.  (Love that little hand held scanner!)  I must have gotten my good 35mm SLR camera in 1977, because that's when I started taking a lot more pictures.
 

This is the bridge over Fall Creek, on the way up to Ft. Williams.  I stopped there one day in the summer, and there were dippers,  I had never seen them before, and spent a lot of time watching them.  What a unique little bird!

 
This is the old Eklund cabin that was on the Pole Creek road.  I used this photo once for one of my most successful watercolor paintings.  I haven't been out that way for quite a while, but I hear it's not there anymore. 

There is a definite color shift in these old photos.  I'm guessing the digital photos we print out today with our printer's ink won't last any better.
 
There was a hawk nest in the trees behind the cabin, and I used to go up there and stalk them.  I never did get a decent picture of them.
 
And I used to spend a lot of time at Meadow Lake in the spring.  In fact, I was guarding the trap for the spawning of the Greyling, and with the fish gathering right there to go up the creek, there were always several Osprey fishing right in front of me, but I never got a decent picture of them either.
 
One day I watched a Merganser duck come up the creek, catch a big fish, and swallow it whole.  Wow! It took him a while to get it down.
 
 
 

2 comments:

Judi said...

Every time you find an old picture you have a story to share. It's wonderful. The bridge was over Pole Creek. Fall Creek was way up by the feedgrounds. It looks like a covered bridge, which we know it was not. The snow must have been just that high between the sideboards. There is a different bridge there now - I heard it was made from a flat bed off a RR car. It doesn't have sides.

Duene said...

I didn't think Fall Creek was right, but that's what I had written in the photo. I remember Fall Creek being down at the bottom of a steep gully.