Friday, March 29, 2013

Friday

Well, I wish I could tell you the name of this little lake, but I'm coming up with a blank.  It's up Gyp Creek, and sits in between Big Sheep Mountain and Battleship Mountain.  It takes a couple hours to reach, horseback.  The ridge I'm sitting on had an abundance of arrowhead chips, but we never found any whole arrowheads.

I believe this lake is the source of Gyp Creek.  But there is no outlet.  There's a dark spot in the middle of the lake, and Gyp Creek flows out the side of a hill you pass on the trail.  G&F spawned fish up there.  It didn't used to be open for fishing, but I don't know about now.

We used to camp on Gyp Creek, and I once spent a whole day chasing a coyote around with my camera.  I was taking pictures and heard what I thought was a dog barking at me.  There was a coyote sitting at the edge of the trees, so I walked toward it.  It let me get pretty close before it disappeared back into the trees.  I kept waking around with my camera, and pretty soon the darned thing was out in plain sight, barking at me again. I finally figured out she was teasing me and leading me away from her den.  I started going in the opposite direction I thought she was leading me, but never did find any sign of a den.

Later that summer, Chuck rode up on a ridge and she was in a clearing below him.  She had four pups with her, and they were playing. 

***************************
 
My goofy Christmas Cactus is thoroughly confused.  It never bloomed, and now one branch has buds on it.  I see no signs of any more buds.  The two pieces I broke off and put in vermiculite are showing signs of life, so maybe I can get the plant so it doesn't look so lopsided.
 
 

5 comments:

Judi said...

I love your photos and the fact that you always seem to remember a little story to go with them.

Rollie said...

I was thinking years ago the G-F had spawning operations for Brook Trout at Jim Lake. I'm sure Charlie knows.

Anonymous said...

Little Sheep Mountain Lake. My last trip in with dad I was maybe 12...the pack horse blew up and threw itself down a hill on the way out. Dad had me hold all the other horses(including Coyote) while they(including my brother Lane) cut down the two trees this upside down horse had thrown itself in. I do believe the horse was named Foxbait. Beautiful country up there!
Barrie

Anonymous said...

I also remember how proud I was to be riding dad's favorite horse, a black named Benson. :)

Duene said...

I liked Benson too. I usually got stuck with Big Red, who spooked at every rock, and was terrified of back packers.