Monday, March 11, 2013

Monday

 
Happy Birthday to my big brother, Bill.  He and Alice are in Arizona, relaxing in their big motorhome.

*************************
 
The leaders of the Iditarod are heading for the home stretch.  The leader, Jeff King, is at mile 800.  Only 200 miles to go.  Martin Buser has dropped back to about 17th place.  I looked through the list of racers this morning, and saw that only one musher still has 16 dogs.  Most of the rest are running 11 or 12 dogs. 
 
The dogs have been dropped at checkpoints along the trail where they are taken care of and will be flown back to Anchorage.  They used to take them to the prison, and prisoners cared for them until they could be picked up.  I believe now the mushers are responsible to have someone pick the dropped dogs at the airport.
 
I believe that when the team is past the half way point, the dropped dogs are flown into Nome and cared for there until the musher arrives.
 
***********************
 
 
 
Still browsing my computer organizing and deleting some stuff.  This picture of Barrie is probably the best photo I ever took.  We were at the Salt Lake Zoo, and she wanted a balloon.  I didn't want to bother with it, but Tracy talked me into it.
 


2 comments:

DADD said...

But she is one HAPPY looking kid with her balloon.

Judi said...

Good for Tracy!
I remember this photo from years ago. It's one of those that sticks in your mind.