Monday, August 4, 2008

August 4

Finished a watercolor yesterday.

Click on photo for a larger version

I started this some time ago, and just finished it yesterday. It could use some work on the values, but in general, I was pleased with it. I think I loosened up a bit with this one, which is something I need to do.

********************************************************

Another Old Dog

This is Hobo. I found him eating road-killed gophers on the highway near Warren Bridge. I was unable to find his owner (his collar was gone), so of course I kept him. He was a wonderful little dog, really devoted. I was at a barbeque at Pete and Sally's and saw that Sally had two little dogs who looked just like him. When I mentioned it, I found that Susan had raised these pups, and had given one to a family who lived up by Warren Bridge. Hobo did not like kids, and I know the family had a boy about 4 years old - probably not a good match. Susan was so glad to hear that he was in a good home. He lived to be about 13 or 14 years old.

It turns out he was a Bichon Frise, a breed I was not familiar with. I had a little girl in my kindergarten class who had a tshirt with a Bichon on it (and she said Sally gave it to her) but it was called a "Bitchen' Frizzy" on the shirt. I loved it!

***************************

It was extremely smoky again this morning, but has cleared up a bit. Seems like the smoke just settles down on us every night. With all the beetle-killed trees, I realize this fire will probably be good for the forest in the long run. But the recovery will take longer than I've got years left!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

netDr. and Tine Close have the bichon frizzys too along with rescued greyhounds. The just look like a little mutt.

It's been 20 years since the big fires in yellowstone etc. and the new trees must be 15 or 20 feet high - but I know what you mean that we won't see this one recovered. I thought I'd never see trees in yellowstone in my lifetime back then.

love, Lynn

Judith Angell Meyer said...

I like your watercolor Duene. I love the colors and I admire the loosness. I can't do that. I'm a control freak!

Thanks for stopping by at WetCanvas.

Judy