Monday, March 12, 2012

Monday

Aliy Zirkle, the woman musher who has been doing so well in the Iditarod, is now in second place.  She got into Koyuk less than an after Dallas Seavey, but was an hour faster in route from Shaktoolik, a distance of 50 miles.   They are now 123 miles from Nome.

Here is a picture taken in Koyuk of Aliy feeding and taking care of her team at the checkpoint.


I love this picture.  Look at all the expressions on the dogs' faces.  Kinda worried, a little scared, but also interested and curious.  These dogs are being flown out of Koyuk in a small plane.  They were dropped in Koyuk and are headed back to Anchorage.  Or if they are close to Nome, they may be flown there.
Photo by Jeff Schultz

***************************

I have finished all five of the Larry McMurtry "Texas"  books.  One thing I really like about his writing, is I feel like I have known some of the characters personally, in my lifetime. 

**********************

Hmmm.  What shall I do with the rest of my day?  Sure don't feel like working on the closet in my downstairs bedroom, although the room looks like a tornado went through it.  And don't feel like working on the desktop computer, either.  Guess that leaves reading, or painting.  Yeah!

2 comments:

DADD said...

Those dogs she is feeding look real small. I kind of thought they were a bigger dogs than those

Duene said...

They are not large dogs. Almost all racing dogs are Alaska Huskies, which is not an recognized AKC breed. They are a mix of Husky breeds with hound blood and maybe some other lines. Their average weight is around 40 lbs, more or less.