Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Louis Lake

Tracy on Bob and Fritzi's pony

Louis Lake


Cabin at Louis Lake

Bob and Fritzi are old friends of mine. Fritzi and I went in college together. They were both school teachers. One summer they leased Louis Lake Lodge, and Tracy and I went up and spent time with them. What a great time!

I don't think there was any electricity at all up there at that time. The cabin Tracy and I slept in was just that - one room with two beds. They sold gas at the lodge, and served meals. I would hang out in the kitchen with Fritzi, help cook, wash dishes, etc. Then we would leave the kids with Bob and saddle up a couple of horses and ride around the area. It was pretty up there.

You can get to Louis Lake on a road that goes off the South Pass highway, or from Lander to Sinks Canyon and up the switchbacks.

************************

Traumatic day yesterday. I went shopping. First, I needed cat food, so I headed for the feed store. I felt like a rat in a maze. About 20 minutes after I turned off the highway, I finally made it back. Never did find the feed store. That's a scary part of town. Half the streets are closed, with big deep ditches dug in them, and I felt trapped. Every street I turned down was closed. I finally went around some orange blockade barrels and through someone's driveway and got to a street that took me back to the highway. I knew I was beaten, and decided to buy cat food you-know-where.

I went to Specialty Meats and bought meat, milk, eggs, peppers, and some cheese.

And then I had to go to Ridley's. The shelves were a mess. I needed some tomato sauce, and dug through about two dozen cans before I could find one that wasn't dented. The peppers I paid less than $3 for Specialty Meats were more than $5 at Ridley's. No kidding. Same peppers, same brand - the plastic package of a yellow, orange and red bell pepper.

I got the cat food. When I got it home, Barrie informed me that she had bought an extra large bag at Sam's Club some time ago, and that half of it was still in the basement. I bought 3 cans of tuna fish, and Barrie told me she had bought a case of it at Sam's Club.

As God as my witness, I will never go shopping again!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Barrie must be thinking that you are going senile, and trying to take care of you so you don't have to leave the house.
Good job Barrie.
R

Judi said...

That maze was good for your brain! Now you won't get Alzheimers for another week or 2. Just kidding. But, really - Don't you dare stay in the house. We need you in art group as our inspiration & to keep us from getting serious.
I have always wanted to stay in one of those cute cabins at Louis Lake. Never got around to it.

Tracy LeClair said...

That pony's name was Gunsmoke. Man, I loved him!