Saturday, April 17, 2010

Saturday

Tracy

How did kids survive all this? Believe it or not, this seat hooked over the back of the pickup seat, and Tracy rode in it. It sure gave her a straight shot toward the windshield if we ever hit anything!

When she outgrew this, she would stand in the seat beside me. When I used the brakes, I would put my right arm out in front of her. It took me years to get over that reflex.

I read an article not long ago about kids' survival. Kids back then didn't wear helmets or protective gear when they rode bikes. They rode in the back of pickup trucks. They played outside all day unsupervised.

Tracy, Christmas at Kingman with her Grandad Bud LeClair. Bud and Esther had those little red boots made in Phoenix for Sonny when he was a baby. Sonny is Tracy's half-brother. They were given to Tracy. Several years ago, Sonny and his wife were at Paul's and Tracy's house when I was there. I gave Sonny his little red boots back.


Bud and Esther had this cradleboaard made for Tracy. A woman from Fort Washakie by the name of Daisy St Clair made it. The sun shade was from a cradleboard she had used for her son years before.


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

At least you had a carseat (of sorts) for Tracy. Interesting picture. We left on a month-long camping trip when Shara was a week old. She rode in a decorated cardboard box with foam pad. It mostly sat on the seat between Rollie & I. JAM

MOM/Gina said...

We all carried our kids around that way....

Anonymous said...

My folks had a Ford pickup when my brother and I were tots. I sat in the middle between my parents; my brother stood up behind me. I was just going to say...at least Tracy wasn't riding in the back of the pickup!

Charm

Anonymous said...

hello, HOW AND WHY DO YOU HAVE MY BABY PIC ,, TRACY WHO?? ARE YOU RELATED TO MARY OR DEBBIE , JAMIE ?? ALSO GPA DIED LIKE 20 YEARS AGO ?? CAN YOU DESRIBE UNCLE WILLY ?? PLEASE CONTACT ME AS I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW WWHER YOU GOT THOSE PICS FROM THANK YOU , SHAWNA LEE CALIFORNIA