Thursday, April 8, 2010

Thursday

Finally got the last details finished on both my income tax return and Barrie's, and got them e-filed this morning. We both are getting money back this year. Hmmm, let's see. What shall I spend it on?

Barrie says the first thing she is going to do is get her last four male sled dogs neutered. I'm not sure how many males she has, but all but four are neutered. She likes female dogs better.

I had a strange thing happen at the post office yesterday. When I picked up my mail, I had about 7 or 8 items that had been forwarded to someone at my box number. When they checked on it, the girl in the post office said the box was still in my name, and she has no idea who the person is using it as a forwarding address. There was an official looking letter from the USPS to the person, at my address, so someone has given this person my box number. The girl promised they would get right on it and figure out what was happening.


********************








Does anyone remember when the hillside gave away and the ditch washed out behind Nick Stadler's house? The hill slid clear across the highway. It didn't get Nick's house, but it took out his garage and buried two of his trucks. What an exciting day! The ditch goes through a big culvert in that location now.

I think the hillside is pretty stable at my house. Lots of tree roots holding the soil in place. I have water standing in my back yard every summer, but for some strange reason, the water does not get in my basement. It's going downhill too fast, I guess. I know people down on the flat between here and the creek have to use sump pumps in their basements every summer.


3 comments:

MOM/Gina said...

I remember....

Anonymous said...

Me too. It was exciting. You should hear Paul & Bette H's stories about that event - it affected their hay crop for years. The resulting lawsuit left the opposing parties 50-50 responsible. JAM

Duene said...

Chuck was called to testify at the trial. i have visited with Paul several times through the years about the ditch, and we talked abour the event.

Just a few years ago, a neighbor brought in some bit equipment and started digging a trench on the ditchbank. I called Paul immediately, and he was up there within half and hour. He takes good care of the ditch.