Friday, April 16, 2010

More old pictures from the album

One of my favorite pack trips from my younger days was Three Forks Park. The Game and Fish spent several years doing surveys of lakes in the wilderness, and Chuck packed in all the equipment, helped move them from one lake to another, and took in supplies


Crossing the Green River with pack horses, going into Three Forks Park.


The camp at Three Forks Park. There were huge boulders in the trees. When we rode into the park, there was only one way to get in there, between two big boulders. Then we put a tree across that spot to make a gate. As that was the only way out, the horses and mules could be turned loose.

We had porcupine problems here. They were starting to eat all the leather straps off the saddles during the night.

We were practiclly in the shadow of Square Top here. One day I was left in charge of all the horses and mules, and Chuck, Ralph, Gary, Ron, and one other guy all went to climb the mountain.


This is where I went arrow head hunting, up Tourist Creek. Three Forks Park is down below. Wish I could remember the name of the other two creeks that came in there.


Getting ready to play poker in the cook tent. That's Chuck, Ralph Huddleson, Ron Remick, and Gary Neely is out of sight on the right.

There was another summer employee up there, but I don't remember his name. He was an overbearing and obnoxious kid. One day Gary, Ron and I were in camp, and this kid was bragging about how well he could ride. We had a pack horse that would not be ridden, so Gary and Ron and I talked him into riding him. He got dumped. Chuck was mad at us when he got back to camp. We were lucky he didn't get hurt, but it sure was funny to see him get bucked off.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I can't believe Rollie did not comment! He took me backpacking up there and we had to wade all the streams....or he'd find me a 'twig' to walk across on (I generally sat down & scooted - til I came to a branch sticking up). We managed to get up on top of Square Top. Rollie went another time and something ate the cork off all the fishing pole handles. Ahhh. Good memories. JAM