Friday, March 20, 2009

Junk or Collectible?

Click on image for a larger view


This is the old lantern that was in my garage for about 40 years, and I finally brought it up and plan to use it in a painting. I wonder when it ceased being a piece of junk and became a collectible? As they say, one man's junk is another man's treasure.


I have no idea of the age or history of this lantern. It spent 40 years out of the weather in my garage, but obviously spent a lot of years in the weather before that. It's been here longer than I have.

I also have some old chipped white enamel plates, cups, etc. and some very old spoons, knives and forks. I imagine these dishes have been on many a camping trip or hunting camp. They would make a good still life subject some day.

I had a pair of bluebirds in my front yard this morning. They were interested in the old bird house hanging in the pine tree. I really don't want them to nest there - too many cats for their safety. I think I'll have Barrie take the birdhouse down.


I have become interested in painting textures of old weathered wood and rust. Judi and Hank have both posted photos I would like to use as reference material if they will let me. Hank found an old rusty car body in the desert, and Judi found some mailboxes with a lot of personality!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh, Yes, use my picture for a painting. You have my total permission & I feel a little honored too! Judi