Monday, June 18, 2012

Monday

Today is International Sushi Day.  For some reason, I don't believe I'll celebrate it.  I've never had sushi.  Who knows?  I might like it.  But there's just something about the idea of eating raw fish that doesn't appeal to me.

Years ago, there was a sheepherder in Shoshoni we called "Geranium Joe".  I'm not sure why, but seems it had something to do with uranium, which was being mined heavily in the area.  Joe herded sheep for years in the area, living alone in a sheep wagon.  He just quit one year and stayed in town, swamping the bars.

Nick let him sleep in the old gambling room at the Derby. He could work a crossword puzzle faster than I thought possible, he could speak three different languages, and could quote poetry for hours. He was familiar with the works of Shakespeare He always took off his hat and bowed to a woman. He was definitely a smart man, but pretty eccentric.

Back to the point of my story.  Joe was sitting at the bar in the old Shoshoni Bar one afternoon, and somebody came in who had been fishing at the lake.  He asked Joe if he wanted a fish, and Joe said yes.  The guy brought a fish in for Joe (it had been cleaned) and left.  A few minutes later, we noticed Joe was eating something - it was the raw fish. 

The bartender made Joe leave and take his fish.  And that's why I've never tried sushi.  I always think of old Joe sitting at the bar eating that raw fish.

****************************


4 comments:

Judi said...

I feel the same about raw fish - and I didn't even know Joe!

Judi said...

I feel the same about raw fish - and I didn't even know Joe!

DADD said...

Sushi is frozen for "X" number of minutes to kill any possible parasites.
But eating raw trout is very common.
I like sushi but really don't care for raw tuna. it seems to greasy for me.
I had a nice plate of shusi on Friday.
By the way, thanks for that ebook address.

Anonymous said...

You did too have sushi! We took you to the Kona Grill in the Cherry Creek mall and made you use the chopsticks. We didn't do any raw fish, just the California roll and crab roll...I don't like the raw stuff. TL