Friday, November 29, 2013

Friday

Now playing on my radio, "I Want You to Love Me Like My Dog".

I am not in favor of excessive government control, but can't our government step in and outlaw Black Friday?  People run amuck!!

*********************
 
Every now and then I go through files on my computer and try to get rid of some things.  Kind of like cleaning my closet.  I got stuck going through old photos, and am always fascinated with the photos I took in my old home town, Shoshoni, several years ago.  I decided to post some of them.
 

This is what's left of the Derby Dining Room and Bar.  I used to work here.  There was an old unused gambling  room off the bar.  Nick kept a mattress in there for drunks, sheepherders, or someone who just needed a place to sleep.  They are pretty sure that is where the fire started.  Even though the Derby wasn't open, someone got in and evidently was smoking in bed.

 
This is the front of the Derby and the east side of Main Street.  There used to be a restaurant there, a pool hall, a movie theater, and the hotel on the end.  The Yellowstone Drug Store was on the ground floor of the hotel.
 
 
And this is Sid's store.  Part of the store was originally the restaurant, and part of it was the movie theater, so the floor sloped.  Part of it was two stories, and had narrow hallways with no exit.  So eventually, the fire marshal shut it down.  The store was full of merchandise for many years.  Sid's son eventually started to haul things out and sell them from a wagon parked in the street.  I bet it's not empty yet. 
 
 
I used to know the people who lived here.
 
 
This motel sign was on the edge of town.  Missing a lot of light bulbs.  I like how they spelled "singel", and wonder what "IR" means.
 
*********************
 
About the pie I posted a photo of yesterday.  It may look like I dropped it getting it out of the oven, but it tasted really good!
 


2 comments:

Judi said...

These photos make me want to cry & I've never lived in Shoshoni. To see it so decrepit when it used to be so active.
Every time we go through Shoshoni I think of stopping & taking photos, but I never do. Glad you did.

MOM/Gina said...

Your photos and knowledge thereof are priceless.