Saturday, May 10, 2014

Saturday

After our discussion of Tokyo Rose yesterday, I became curious and wanted to know more about her, so I did some checking.

 
"Tokyo Rose" was a generic name given by Allied Forces to any one of approximately a dozen English-speaking female broadcasters of Japanese propaganda. Iva Toguri was the most famously linked name behind the Tokyo Rose.

She wasn't even a Japanese citizen.  She was a native of Los Angeles, and was stranded in Japan because she was visiting family when the war broke out.  And of course she needed a job.

She was arrested and convicted for treason after the war.  She was in prison until 1956, and finally received a presidential pardon.

There were also English-speaking broadcasters spreading propaganda in Germany and Italy.  "Axis Sally" and "Lord Haw Haw" for example. 

******************
And speaking of WWII, I recently checked the PBase gallery I have online, and see that over 500 comments have been left on the gallery of photos from New Guinia, ten of them were as late as April and May of this year.
 
*****************

I'm giving serious consideration to baking an apple pie today.  I bought too many apples last time I went to the grocery store, and am not using them.

*****************
Enough already!!! I am getting tired of looking out the window at snow falling sideways.


3 comments:

Judi said...

Tell us again about the new Guinea photos and the PBase. I have a vague recollection, but.....I just can't remember.

Duene said...

Look in the right column of my blog for a list of a few blogs I follow. The gallery has albums of different content.

Duene said...

Oops, it's not a blog. It's a web site.