Sunday, October 5, 2008

Sunday

Click on images for a larger view. Herd of Buffalo in Yellowstone

Hungry Baby Robins


Sleeping with the Monkey

**************************************

We have had a couple of days of nice rain, and it looks very much like rain again today. Probably not cold enough to snow, but you never know.

I watched the movie "Peyton Place" on TV Friday night. It was filmed in 1957, and I clearly remember the reaction it got. People were shocked by this film!! My college roomate's parents took us to Denver for a weekend, and we saw the movie. Her parents did not go with us, and I'm not sure they even knew which movie we were going to.

By today's standards, the movie is pretty old fashioned. We now have commercials that are more explicent, and certainly a lot of new TV shows and movies have more sex and violence than Peyton Place. Makes me wonder what kids will be weatching 30 or 40 years from now.

I have not scanned slides for several days now, and need to get busy at it again. I did get more than half of my upstairs windows washed, and the view is so fabulous that I am sure I will finish them. I haven't yet ordered the microfilm cleaning cloth, but intend to get some. The downstairs windows are dirty, but I don't know when I will get to them. I spend so little time downstairs, so don't spend time looking out the windows.

"Titanic" was on last night. I watched part of it, but not the whole thing. It is a wonderful movie, but just too long - especially when you've seen it before. I always chuckle at the part where some guy has a "nit comb" and is checking some of the passengers for lice. The well-to-do Americans were not checked, because of course they didn't have lice!!

I remember when I was teaching kindergarten, "horrors of all horrors", head lice were discovered in the elementary school. If a child had head lice, they had to go home and stay home for a day and have their head treated to get rid of the lice. I got sent home the first day!! I shampooed my hair with this special shampoo and enjoyed my day off. Parents freaked out, some of them shaved their little boy's heads, and the Retirement Center would not allow child visitors. Poor kids were treated like they had the plague. Most people did not realize that lice prefer clean hair to dirty hair.

We spent weeks checking kids' heads every day. I actually got so I could not walk into a room of people without haveing this overwhelming urge to check their hair for head lice!

***************************************

No comments: