Saturday, July 4, 2009

July 4th

Click on images for a larger view



Well, another Fourth of July is over, more or less. As usual, the Fire Department did a wonderful job, with a spectacular display and lots of noise. The neighbors are having a party, but I don't even hear them with the window closed.


Barrie and I decided not to go out to watch the display. Well, I cheated, I have a good view from my upstairs bathroom window. As soon as the first "boom" came, Jarvi crashed through the gate in the back hall and wanted in Barrie's lap. Barrie put both Jarvi and Shorty in the bathroom downstairs. At the first "boom", Kat leaped out of the chair she was sleeping in and was under the bed. I haven't seen her since.

Julie E. told me once that there were always many "missing dog" reports to her after the fireworks. I feel so sorry for the dogs. One year I was in the Middle School parking lot with Paul and Tracy watching the display, and there were several deer in the field right in front of us. They were oblivious to the fireworks.

Several years ago, when the Fire Department was still shooting off the fireworks up by the "Star", they got some defective fireworks. I think they had to put out thirteen fires that year. Barrie and I were sitting outside, and a "hot" piece came down in our back yard and started a fire. Barrie grabbed our hose and was putting it out when we saw a fire truck up on the hill above us. She yelled up to them that she had it. I felt relieved when they moved the fireworks further west.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Where do they shoot off the fireworks now? JAM

Duene said...

They are up by the baseball field.