Saturday, July 18, 2009

Saturday

Out of my Comfort Zone:

Click on images for a larger view
Last night I was straightening up my art room a bit, and sort of taking inventory of all the "stuff" I have. When I first got back into painting after so many years, of course I thought I would be doing oil painting. So I bought new stuff, and bought new stuff, and bought new stuff. One of the things I just "had to have" is this little "guerilla painter box". I was going to do plein aire painting. Somehow, watercolors took over, and I only did one oil painting, which isn't completed yet! So today I set up this little box for the first time, put a few paints on the palette, and started on a little 6" x 8" painting. It's fun, so far.



Kasey loves her swimming lessons. Here she is in her "Tinker Bell" suit.

Getting undressed for swimming class


No blog yesterday - I'm not sure what I did all day - nothing important or interesting, anyway. It was supposed to get really hot, but there was a nice breeze all day, and I never turned on my little air conditioner. As long as there is a breeze, my upstairs room does not get unbearably hot.






3 comments:

Judith Angell Meyer said...

Boy can I equate with your oils and paint box. I started out with watercolors but thought I'd need to be working in oil to be a "legitimate" artist. Well, I painted more than one oil until I heard the comment, you can sure tell she is a watercolorist by looking at her oils. Have not touched the oils since!

~J~

Duene said...

Too funny, Judith!! I can't get used to the idea that I can let it dry in about a half hour. I have tried to add a big cloud to the sky, and have lost the whites. I'm not sure if I need to wait until it dries and paint over it, or try to rub it off the canvas. Oh well, it is still fun for me!

Judith Angell Meyer said...

Maybe acrylics would be a good transition for you. They look like oils but dry really fast.

It is okay to rub off what you don't like. As long as it is fun, you just go for it.

~J~