Monday, July 20, 2009

Monday

I at least covered the canvas with paint, so will move on to a new one. This is only 6" x 8", so it didn't take much to cover it.

I have heard of oil painters who tried watercolor and hated it because they didn't have any control over it. I kind of felt the same way after attempting this little bitty oil. I wonder if it might be easier to try something a little larger.

Judith suggested that I might like acrylics better. I know I've used them before, many years ago, and didn't care for them much. I am complaining that the oils don't dry, but I seem to remember I didn't like the fact that the acrylics dried so fast. Who knows?? I'll just keep putting paint on surfaces and having fun!! And I do have some acrylics, so will try them too.

I just brought a few pieces of my plastic fruit upstairs and will try to set up a still life to paint. That will be a first for me!!


I mentioned a few days ago that the lilac bush on the west side of the house had grown up so high that we couldn't see out the living room window any more. I had cut it back about 5 years ago, but it is a healthy bush and grew back. I looked out today, and Barrie had the loppers and was working on it. She also cut back some willows by the carport, and some caragana bushes by the back gate. She must like the new loppers I bought! She's got quite a pile down by the driveway to haul off.

Dave Carney came by today to see what I want to have done to the house. The back part of the house, the brick part, has two bedrooms and the back hall. The back door often has a snow drift at the bottom when the wind blows, and the three windows are the old junky aluminun frame windows that have been in there at least 40 years, and the storm glass has long since broken. I have just closed that part of the house off in the winter for the last several years, but now that Barrie and Kasey are home, it needs to be "winterized" So Dave will put in three new windows, and a new door - all airtight, and double pane glass on the windows. Because that part of the house sits on a cement slab and doesn't have heat into the rooms, they will probably still be a little cool - but no more snow drifts and ice on the windows.

No comments: