Friday, September 26, 2008

Meet the Cat

The New Resident
Click on image for a larger view.
This is "the cat" (no name yet) who has moved into my house.

Wednesday afternoon, I found a very small dead kitten on the rock walk in front of my porch. When I looked in the doghouse, which is beside the porch, I saw a little white kitten in there. I figured one of the cats who eats here had brought them up into the yard, and something had happened to one of them. I thought she would be back for the other one, and didn't do anything about it.

The next afternoon, Barrie came up and said she could hear the kitten yowling the minute she came into the yard. So I guess the mother did not come back. Barrie brought the kitten in, and went to the Animal Clinic to get kitten formula and a bottle. We think he is about two weeks old. He is tiny, but seems strong.

I fixed up a little box and put in some polar fleece and one of Kasey's little fuzzy stuffed animals. Barrie worked with him quite a while to get him to eat, and she fed him twice before she went home. I fed him about 9:00 and again at midnight, and he slept through the night.

I have fed him three times today, and got him to go to the bathroom in the bathroom sink. Yuck! Very small kittens have to be stimulated to use the bathroom, which their mothers do by licking them. I used a piece of soft paper towel with warm water.

I raised a kitten on a bottle years ago -deja vu!
Wonder what I will do with him later, assuming he makes it. He is very strong, has a good appetite, and seems healthy. I am so allergic to cats, so wish he could have a home where he can be a house cat.

************************************

No comments: