Saturday, September 13, 2008

Saturday September 13

The New Scanner
Click on images for a larger view.
Here is a photo of the new scanner set up with four slides to be scanned. It's not as fast as I was hoping it would be, but does a nice job. One thing I really like about it is that it will immediately open all four scans in Photoshop so I can edit, crop, etc. It saves the files somewhere else too, in some folder it created itself. I will try to keep that folder cleaned out to save room on the hard drive. I scanned a couple dozen slides of old art work yesterday. Now I will have to go through all the slides and see what I want to scan. Lots of pictures of my girls, dogs, cats, etc.

***********************************

An elephant I did in pencil - after visiting the Hogle Zoo. I remember how much fun it was to draw the textures and wrinkles in his skin.


Another of my "Indians of the Past" drawings. The slide said "sold" on it, but I have no idea who bought it.

*********************************

I may have solved the problem of reducing the file size of a photo to under 30 KB and still keeping the image large enough to see. I will have to practice some more before I could even explain how I did it. For one thing, when you resize it to about 450 pixels on one side (and change the resolution to 72 dpi), and save it -- the "save" dialog has a little slider you can adjust for image quality. This affects the file size. So if you slide it far to the left, you are reducing the image quality along with the size of the file. But if the photo is going to be published on the web, the low quality looks OK.

There is also a "Save for Web" menu in Photoshop, and you can make ajustments there that will affect file size.

I thought the information I found on the internet was pretty sketchy on how to do this. I have books on Photoshop, and maybe I will see if there is more information in the books.

No comments: