Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Another Rainy Day

Click on images for a larger view

Western Tanager


Goldfinch
***************************************
Mistaken Identities, both flowers and birds ---


I got some photos of the bird out the window yesterday with the telephoto lens. Then I got out the bird book and did some reasearch of images on the internet. The bird in the top photo is a Western Tanager. The bird in the lower photo is a Goldfinch, which many people call a wild canary. I took this photo last spring. I always have finches, but I don't recall ever seeing a Western Tanager in my yard before.

The mystery flower Judi recently posted that I thought was wild phlox - Roger was right that phox has five metals. Mine are now blooming, and guess what, the flowers have four petals. So I don't have wild phlox at all, but it's Sweet Rocket.

So I have had my bird and flower lessons for the day!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great bird photos. Good lesson. Now...is Tanager with a soft or hard G? JAM

Anonymous said...

Wikipedia says: 'taenedzer' - real helpful, huh? Webster says tan"a*ger rhymes with auger, apologer, & astrologer. So, soft G? JAM

Duene said...

Ha! To tell the truth, I have been out of school so long I don't even remember the difference between a soft and hard G. BTW, have you figured out Lynn's poem yet?

Anonymous said...

After reading your blog yesterday, one of your Tanagers swooped me in my yard!!! I never would have know what it was without your blog.

Thanks!!! :)
Betty

Anonymous said...

To tell the truth I've forgotten hard & soft G also. Rollie pointed out that 'auger' is one of them and 'astologer' is the other! And the site I read said Tanager rhymes with both. go figure. JAM

Anonymous said...

beautiful, very beautiful bird photos. You should publish them in your own book. Gina says the ones she wrote Will with are only $8 each, and I think they have a hard cover.
Love, Lynn