Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Wednesday

Click on images for a larger view
This little finch had just left the nest and made it as far as the bird feeder outside my window. I think he felt very overwhelmed, and would not try to leave. He stayed there all day, and his parents came in and fed him often. The next morning he was gone. This photo was taken last summer.



These are rock chucks. There was quite a group of them living in a pile of old logs on the road out to the Mocroft place. I went out several times to photograph them, and old cabins, when Mary Ann and Bobby lived there. The Indians call these "whistle pigs" and eat them. I never tried one, but "Aunt Minnie" told me how they fixed them. They are so fat that they stuff them with grass before baking them to soak up the grease.


I used to enjoy going out on the Mesa to hunt arrow heads, and usually saw some horned toads. I haven't been to the Mesa for a long time. A lot of people don't even know what you are talking about when you say "The Mesa". It's referred to as the "Pinedale Anticline" now. The last time I drove out there, there are so many well pads, rigs, and new roads that I hardly recognized the place.

***********************************

Really hard rain again this morning. Are we surprised? NOT!

1 comment:

Judith Angell Meyer said...

Hello Duene, Only fair I should visit your place too. But I stop in from time to time anyway. I enjoy your photos and paintings. I liked your old car yesterday (?)and the aspen, AND the water.

Have you, or are you going to be creating a painting from the whistle pigs photo? If you don't have any plans for it, I wonder if you ever give permission for someone else to use one of your photos? It is a saleable photo too. Do you have an outlet for your wonderful photos?

Don't get too wet up there, and don't let the Miller's win!

~J~