Thursday, June 25, 2009

Historical???

Click on images for a larger view
A photo of Fremont Peak from the overlook at the top of Skyline. Nothing special, but I never get tired of this view.

Barrie with a friend at the petting zoo at the County Fair in Powell. I still think she looked really cute with short hair!

**************************************

Today in 1876, George Armstrong Custer and 210 of his men were killed by Indians on the Little Big Horn River in Montana. I've always been interested in this event and the history surrounding the Indian wars. I was so impressed when I visited the site of the battle years ago. Custer was made out to be a hero at that time, but as time passed, he lost a lot of his credibility and charm. I have attended several Indian Pow Wow gatherings, and always saw bumper stickers that said "Custer Died for Your Sins".

And history making events today - Farah Fawcett died, after a long battle with cancer. I always enjoyed watching her, especially in "Charlie's Angels". Even though that show may seem a little old and corny now, I still enjoyed watching it.

And then there is the news that Michael Jackson died of cardiac arrest today. I can't believe all the media mayhem and how people are responding. There are hundreds of people gathering outside the medical center and some are trying to get in. One of my first grade students years ago loved him, and brought a tape to school. "Beat It" was his popular song, and we listened to it a lot. I did like his music then, but that was when he looked and acted like a real person.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Barrie is adorable! I agree with you about way too much media spent on that wierd Michael guy & Farrah is ignored. JAM

Cat Urbigkit said...

I think Barrie's haircut was cute too! I enjoyed the photo of Cody and Barrie the other day.
Best,
Cat