Sunday, June 28, 2009

It's Getting Hot

I'm afraid the heat is here. The forecast is predicing temperatures in the 80's for at least the next few days, and I'm not comfortable when it's that hot. Time to haul my little air conditioner out of the closet and figure out where to put it. The cat tree I got for the cat kind of takes up the space I used to put it in front of the window. This air conditioner is for upstairs. The downstairs of my house stays pretty cool. After I got the new furnace down there, it is even easier to keep cool, as I can turn on the fan only, and it brings up cool air from the basement.

My lawn is not happy when it gets hot and dry. It is already starting to look bad. Part of my yard is in the shade and in standing water. But the main lawn is on a west rocky slope, and it will dry out and look brown in just a couple of days without water.



Click on images for a larger view

Kasey came upstairs yesterday chattering about painting, wanting to know where her "book" was, and wanting to get up on my lap and paint. I found her watercolor pad, we produced this masterpiece. I forgot about her name, but she reminded me that she needed to put her name on it. She loves to write her name, and calls every letter "y". Well, she doesn't actually write her name. I hold her hand while she has the paintbrush. She always wants blue, if I ask her which color she wants, but I'm not sure she knows which is blue. Maybe it's just the easiest one to remember and it's easy to say.



Three cottonwood trees are gone! These trees were blocking my view of the ditchbank, and Barrie cut them down yesterday. She finished cutting the "stumps" of the big willow bush too. I know a lot of people would love to have these trees growing at their place, but I was beginning to feel clausterphobic with all the growth closing in around me. And the ditchbank is such a good place for wildlife viewing.

Late last night I heard a kitten crying outside. I made Barrie come up and listen at the window. Bless her heart, she went out to check. She went down the road to the south, and heard it up on the ditchbank. And another kitten ran out of a clump of grass by the road. Later, I thought it was to the north of my house. I suppose one of the cats took their litter out to teach them how to hunt, and left them there. Maybe she came back to gather them up later.

No comments: