Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Tuesday

Bill and Alice brought me some slides Mom had taken years ago. They thought I should scan them and put them on my blog.




This is my horse, Squaw. She was half Arabian. I owned her mother, and broke and trained her myself, so she really wasn't worth much. Well, she reined OK and never bucked and was quite gentle, so I guess that makes her worth something.

This is Bill and Alice's son, Mike, petting Squaw.

This was my first car, a blue Ford Fairlane. It had a manual transmission. About the only luxuries it had was a radio and heater. It got hit twice after I moved to Casper, and was rear ended when I moved to Tucson. Poor thing was a magnet for big mean cars. It looks like it has some dents in this photo, but that is just the quality of the slide.

I have found that many of these old slides have deteriorated quite a bit. The color had really shifted in some of them. Also, even though I dust them with a brush before scanning, they all have dust and hairs on them. It is especially noticeable in the sky.

The mailbox in the background of this picture brings out some memories. It must have gotten hit and knocked down about 6 or 7 times before my Dad moved it. I think my Mom backed over it at least twice in the school bus she drove.

**********************
Kasey just came upstairs with the instructions from her Mom to "ask" Grandma if she could paint. By the time she got up here, she bounced up to me, and said "I'll get my book. We're gonna paint!" She has her own watercolor pad. It's interesting to see the changes she is making in her painting. She used to just scrub the brush on the surface. Now she is painting mostly careful lines. She needs a larger pad.

No comments: