Friday, March 7, 2014

Friday

I have been asked about Kasey's buddy, Newton Marshall, the Jamaican musher who is running the Iditarod.  He is running pretty far back in the pack, but he is not entered in this race to win.  I wish I could remember which kennel he is working with.  The big time mushers with the big sponsors raise puppies for future races.  Newton is running someone's "puppy team."  They are young dogs that look promising for future Iditarod teams.   Running this race as puppies, they will know the trail, and have experience for the future. 

There are several puppy teams in the race, but I'm not sure which ones.

 
I actually thought Easter was on April 1st, after seeing this poster.  Well, Easter is actually on April 20, so the joke is on me!  I have to say, it is a funny poster.

*******************
 

The two Iditarod leaders, Jeff King, and Sonny Linder, are now on their mandatory 24 hour stop, so are being passed by the many teams who have already taken their 24.  Ally Zircle is now the leader and Martin Buser is behind her. Almost all the teams have taken their 24, which makes it so much easier for people like me (mathematically challenged) so see where they really are.  It would be wonderful see another woman win it this year.  Go Ally! 

And I am also rooting for John Baker, He is an Inupiat Indian, born and raised in a village on the coast.  He is running in 17th place right now, but when they get to the coast, his dogs will be in their home territory, and really do well there.  

 
Another photo I took out the window in March of 2007. 

1 comment:

Judi said...

Lynx are absolutely beautiful animals. WOW.
Thank you for keeping us up on the Iditarod. I didn't know that about people running a kennel's puppies like Newton is doing.